WELCOME TO BETHEL
The spark of Methodism was set in Lewes in 1739, when the first Methodist sermon was preached on October 31st at a local inn, by George Whitefield. That spark died out until 1779 when Mr. Freeborn Garrettson came on a preaching mission which established the Methodist presence in Lewes, Delaware. Though our congregation dates its origin back to July 6, 1779, the site for the current Bethel Church building was purchased in 1909 from John T. Jones. The cornerstone was laid the following year. This Gothic building was constructed under the leadership of the Reverand William R. Mowbray, pastor of the Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church from 1907 to 1911. The building contains twenty-nine stained glass windows. Twenty-three of the windows are either memorials or were given to honor someone living at the time of the erection of the church. The sanctuary room contains a lancet window, measuring 12' x 24' based upon the well known painting "Christ in Gethsemane," by Johann Heinrich Hofman. The adjoining room has a large window of "The Good Shepherd" by the German artist, Bernard Plockhurst.
Bethel's education wing was built in 1957 after an extensive capital campaign. With over 350 children and adults in Sunday School, the growing congregation knew that an expansion was in order. The $150,000 addition included a large Fellowship Hall, kitchen, multiple Sunday School rooms and offices. The lower level of the education wing now hosts the Bethel Christian School, bringing the message of Jesus Christ to countless children in the Lewes/Rehoboth area.